Veterans Benefits

Lawson State Community College is approved by the Alabama State Approving Agency (SAA) to offer VA Educational Benefits (GI Bill®) to eligible individuals enrolled in approved programs.

Veterans Benefit Information


The following must be submitted for the certification process to begin. It is the veteran’s responsibility to assemble all needed materials and submit them to the Institution's Veterans Services Office. 

  1. VA Enrollment Certification Request Form
  2. New applicants complete VA Form 22-1990 or or online application via VONAPP ,
  3. Transfer students must complete VA Form 22-1995 and
  4. Submit copy of: DD214-Report of Separation (Member 4 copy)
  5. Veterans eligible for CH34 benefits (entered service 1977 or earlier) also submit copies of:
    • Marriage certificate
    • Birth certificates of dependent children
    • Divorce decrees

All Applicants Under All Chapters:

The best way to apply for your education benefits is online at You can also apply for education benefits by doing any of the following options:

Visit your nearest VA regional benefit office or the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs local office to apply in person.

Consult with the VA School Certifying Official in our Student Financial Services office on either the Bessemer or the Birmingham campus. 

Call 1-888-GI BILL®-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.

Visit the VA Education and Training website for more information education benefits.

Submit the following to our office:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility or Copy of Application or Change of School Information Form
  2. Signed Statement of Understanding - (Obtained from Institution)

To acquire the DD214, Report of Separation or Form 13038, Certification of Military Service, contact:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri  63132
Phone: 1-314-801-0800

GED Information

Veterans may qualify for two semester hours of physical education credit upon submission of the DD214 or Certification of Military Service forms to the Admissions Office.  A veteran who earned the GED while serving in the military must have an official copy of the GED score report mailed to the Admissions Office unless otherwise exempted. To acquire a GED score report or verification of GED acquired while in the military, visit:


Transcripts of Military Training / Learning Experiences
To acquire an American Council of Education transcript of military training /experiential learning,


Eligible tuition and fees are paid directly to the institution

Benefits can be transferred to a dependent - Must be 18 or older

The  Post 911 GI Bill® includes active service as a National Guard member under title 32 U.S. C. for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training and active servce under section 502(f) of title 32 for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.

BAH is not payable to individuals on active duty or those enrolled at half time (Six credit hours or less). Students are paid to students enrolled at least eight credit hours.

Chapter 33 is an educational benefit program ranging from 40% to 100% eligibility, for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. The effective start date for Chapter 33 was August 1, 2009.

There are two benefit programs under Chapter 33:

  1. Post 911 GI Bill® - for eligible individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001
  2. Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship - for children of service members who die in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

CH 33 allows for the following benefits for students:

  1. A tuition and fee benefit paid directly to Lawson State
  2. A monthly housing allowance provided to the student - based on zip code of institution; (One-half the BAH national average for student training solely by distance learning - totally online)
  3. A book stipend of up to $1,000 per academic year
  4. In some cases, a one time rural benefit payment-(does not include Fry scholarship recipients).

Applicants Under Chapter 35 (Survivors/Dependents)

  1. New applicants complete VA Form 22-5490
  2. Transfer students complete VA Form 22-5495
  3. Provide Veterans VA File Number (Not the Student's SS#).

Applicants Under Chapter 1606/1607 (Reserves/National Guard)

  1. New applicants complete VA Form 22-1990
  2. Transfer students complete VA Form 22-1995
  3. Submit copy of DD2384 -Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

The Work-Study program allows a VA student to earn the Federal or state minimum wage (whichever is higher) for up to 1,300 hours per year. The benefit is tax free and allows each VA student to “earn while he learns” while he or she is pursuing an approved post-secondary program of education on at least a three-quarter time basis.

The VA Work-Study student must work in an office that permits them to perform VA related activities. These sites include, but are not limited to:  Regional Offices, VA Medical Centers, Vet Centers, VA Outpatient clinics, National Cemeteries, and local educational institutions, and might include preparing and processing VA enrollment certifications, checking VA student attendance records or checking for course changes, etc.

All questions concerning child and/or spouse eligibility can be located at the Department of Veterans Affairs at: or you may call toll free at 1 (888) 442-4551.

Sharon Williams, Assistant Director of Student Financial Services 

Phone: 205-929-3421



Tanita Williams-Jackson, Financial Aid Specialist

Phone: 205-929-6335