How to Apply for Financial Aid

Apply for financial aid each year using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is the only way you can qualify for federal and state financial aid and our Lawson State scholarships. 99% of Lawson State students qualify for aid, so don't miss this opportunity to bring down the cost of your education. Apply today.

Apply for Financial Aid

Follow these steps to complete the FAFSA and submit your financial aid application. Have questions about completing the FAFSA, making corrections, or adding Lawson State Community College to an existing FAFSA? Call us at either campus, and we'll help you out.

You must be an admitted student to Lawson State Community College before your aid can be processed or awarded. If you haven't yet applied to Lawson State, complete the Lawson State application first.

Apply to Lawson

An FSA ID allows you to electronically sign and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) without having to print, sign, and mail a signature page to the FAFSA processor. An FSA ID allows you to make corrections to your FAFSA online and access the Student NSLDS site that tracks all of your financial aid from all schools.

Apply on StudentAid.Gov

All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every award year (July 1, 20xx - June 30, 20xx). You can apply online after October 1 for each upcoming award year. Click here to determine your correct award year.

Use your FSA ID to sign and submit your application electronically. Use Federal School Code Number 001059 for Lawson State Community College.

Complete on StudentAid.Gov

Upon receipt of the FAFSA, you can view your missing (unsatisfied) requirements in MyLawson. Go to MyLawson > Financial Information > Unsatisfied Requirements to review. Failure to complete unsatisfied requirements can void your eligibility for aid.

My Unsatisfied Requirements

If your application information states you are selected for verification, you must provide:

  • A Verification Worksheet
  • A signed copy of your federal tax transcripts with W-2(s) including applicable schedules. If you are married, you will need a signed copy of your spouse's tax transcripts. If you are a dependent student, you will need a signed copy of your parents' federal tax transcript. 
  • If you, your spouse, or your parents did not file an income tax return for the tax year, you, your spouse, or your parent will need to obtain written documentation from the IRS. Provide a written statement and documentation of how you were supported along with the Verification Worksheet.

About Verification

To view your eligible aid, go to MyLawson > Financial Aid > Financial Aid Status and enter the aid year (current school year). Click on Student Requirements, then to authorize Title IV, click on Indirect Charge Title IV Authorization. Use the drop-down box on the right side of the screen to click Authorize. Then click on Submit Information.

View My Award

Get in Touch with Financial Aid

If you have any questions about the financial aid application process or just want to speak to someone, reach out to Financial Aid. We’re here to help!


Bessemer Campus
Building A
1100 Ninth Ave SW
Bessemer, AL 35022

Birmingham Campus
Academic Success Center
First Floor
3060 Wilson Rd SW
Birmingham, AL 35221


8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.

Contact Information

Bessemer Campus Phone
(205) 929-3423

Birmingham Campus Phone
(205) 929-6380